Embajada de Costa Rica

E-mail Print PDF

Permit to exit Costa Rica for minors

Who needs permission to exit Costa Rica?

  1. Minors registered as Costa Rican in the Civil Registry of Costa Rica (even if they also have other nationality).
  2. Foreign minors, ONLY when they have legal residence in Costa Rica.

Please send to the Embassy of Costa Rica in Berlin:

  1. Request letter in Spanish indicating e-mail or phone number for notifications. If one parent is in Costa Rica, he/she must go to the Immigration Department (Dirección General de Migración y Extranjería) to sign the authorization. Please indicate in the letter:
    1. Parents' personal information: full name, nationality, civil status, profession, exact address of residence, number of Costa Rican identification card or passport, in case of a foreign parent.
    2. Personal information of the minor: full name, date of birth and passport number.
    3. Information about departure of the country, when available: name of the airline, flight number, date and time of travel.
  2. Copy of both sides of the valid Costa Rican identification card (cédula de identidad), or copy of the information page of valid passport in case of a foreign parent.
  3. Copy of both sides of the Costa Rican identification card (TIM) of the minor. If the minor does not have an identification card, please provide a copy of the Costa Rican birth certificate issued within the last year. If the child is a resident, a copy of the foreign birth certificate in international version and duly apostilled must be submitted.


The process starts at the Embassy or Honorary Consulate and ends in Costa Rica.

Procedure at the Embassy:

If the documents are complete and correct, an appointment will be scheduled in order to sign the original application form in front of the Consul. The petitioner must bring the Costa Rican identification card or valid passport to the appointment.

Procedure in Costa Rica:

The person caring for the minor in Costa Rica must go to the Immigration Department (Dirección General de Migración y Extranjería), and complete the documentation as required. The requirements can be found here.


The exit permit will be valid for 30 calendar days after it has been registrated by the Immigration Department (Dirección de Migración y Extranjería en Costa Rica). During this period, it can be used in one or more trips. Permanent exit permits may be issued only when requested personally at the Immigration Department in Costa Rica.

Cost: FREE

Legal Basis:

  • - Ley 8764 General de Migración y Extranjería, artículo 76, inciso 4.
  • - Reglamento para la Aplicación de la Ley General de Migración y Extranjería número 8764 a las Personas Menores de Edad, Título IV, Capítulo III, Sección I.

For additional information, click here

Permit to exit Costa Rica for minors


atencion Ing

extranjero Ing